Monday, October 14, 2019

6/2 Creative Potential of Video Art

I am very interested in video art and how it can be used to not only communicate through stimulating visuals, but also to relay a very direct narrative. On the other hand, I'm also intrigued by how video can challenge the very notion of a narrative strain. The possibilities with video feel endless, and therefore a bit daunting, but I think careful exploration of and creation within the medium can yield truly fantastic results. I, personally, wonder how to toe the delicate line between video art and film and am interested in doing more research about where the difference lies.

Recently, I visited the Mika Rottenberg show at the New Museum and was quite taken with her ability to use video to communicate beautifully and directly about complex social and environmental issues.  Specifically, NoKnowsNose was particularly impactful (here is a short clip). This medium is unique in that it can engage the viewer in many senses, pushing past the limitations of more static mediums. As mentioned before, though, there are seemingly endless possibilities, which I am sure is a challenge in and of itself for video artists.

This brings me to how to incorporate video art into the classroom. Again, with seemingly endless possibilities, I would like to set up a condition for children to interact with video art in a way separate from what can be achieved through painting, photography, and film. Therein lies the challenge, how to explore within a medium that is so clearly defined but also borrows from others? With Upper Elementary children, iMovie makes video art accessible and easy to bring into the classroom. However, the challenge becomes what motivational question could be posed to children in order to explore this medium. Perhaps something like, "How might you create a video that tells us about yourself without talking?" or "How might you create a video of a past artwork?". I am still working through the possibilities here, but am intrigued at the prospect of using this medium with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

14.2 Final Project: Dance + Community + Sound

For my final project I wanted to look at how movement and sound are naturally generated in a community setting. However, as I thought more a...