Thursday, September 5, 2019

1-2

In digesting Rushkoff's detailed mandate to live in person with regards to our interactions with digital networks, I've been thinking primarily about the idea of using interactions for their intended purpose. Rushkoff gives the example of speaking at a conference where participants travel from afar to be there, in person, to gain insight from a presenter. He argues the point that it is unnecessary and illogical to use a digital presentation for an in-person talk, pointing out that using a digital presentation would be the same online, so it would be a waste of the participants' time and travel. This leads me to think about my experience as a classroom teacher and how much technology was used for the sake of using technology and without actual greater purpose. My inclination is to try to be more purposeful and think about interactions and whether they require technology or if that diminishes the value and authenticity of the interaction.

I've also been wondering about Rushkoff's idea that digital networking can be dislocating for people. The actual physical and mental disorientation that can occur as a result of overuse of digital networking programs in a compulsive manner, even when in the presence of others that a person could feasibly connect with, is disconcerting. It makes me think about the impact this will have on human relationships long-term as this effect can already be seen in adults who have had access to these technologies for a decade or so. I know that I can personally relate as I’m frequently drawn to social media more out of habit than anything else, or even as an avoidance strategy against what is happening around me. This leads me to wonder how to become a more conscious consumer of these technologies in order to benefit, or at least not be detrimental to, my mental state.


No comments:

Post a Comment

14.2 Final Project: Dance + Community + Sound

For my final project I wanted to look at how movement and sound are naturally generated in a community setting. However, as I thought more a...